Who are they?

Gynaecologists are doctors who deal with troubles of the female reproductive system, cooperating with other specialists too. They help the woman during her pregnancy, labour and delivery and give her postpartum assistance if needed.

What do they deal with?

They deal with:

  • various infections (bacterial and viral infections, mycosis) of the organs of the female reproductive system (ovaries, uterus, vagina, external genitalia)
  • benign cancers of the reproductive system (ovarian, vulvar and vaginal cysts; genital warts; other non cancerous variations)
  • innate anomalies of the reproductive system
  • problems due to pregnancy (ectopic pregnancy, abortion and miscarriage)
  • endometriosis
  • uterine fibroids/myoma
  • pelvic inflammatory disease
  • intense or chronic pelvic pain
  • sexual transmitted diseases

What do they do?

  • female cancer screening tests (Pap test and HPV test to detect cervix cancer; breast ultrasound and mammography to detect breast cancer)
  • tests like colposcopy (microscopic examination of the cervix) and surgeries like endometriosis biopsy (drawing of a sample of lining of the uterus)
  • various gynaecological surgeries (tubal ligation; fibroids/myoma removal; cysts removal; uterus removal (or a part of it) – hysterectomy)


When to ask for an appointment

After sexual maturity, women should go to the gynaecologist every year to check the state of health of their reproductive system, even if they don’t have any particular problem or symptom. The gynaecologist also deals with women having fertility issues and problems in conceiving.



What is it?

Parent counselling is a healthcare facility where you can find a team of gynaecologists, obstetricians, health educators, paediatricians, psychologists and social workers. All services are free of charge.

What services does it offer?

  • specialist examinations in obstetric and gynaecology clinics
  • assistance during pregnancy (pre- and postpartum courses) and puerperium (postpartum massage courses)
  • sexual education and safe procreation (contraception)
  • evaluation and support for parental care
  • assistance for women and couples who want a voluntary termination of pregnancy (VTP)
  • assistance for women and couples with fertility issues (medically assisted procreation centres)
  • individual, couple and family assistance for domestic relationships (separation/divorce)
  • assistance for women with menopause issues
  • assistance for adoption and custody
  • legal protection of immigrant families with the support of cultural mediation (if needed)

How to access the service

To access the service, you do not need a referral from your general practitioner (GP). According to the law, minors neither have to ask for their parents’ approval nor for their presence.



Always ask your doctor for clarification and information. HFVG declines all responsibility for incorrect use of the information on this page.