I need…

I am…

a EU, EEA or Swiss citizen having an EHIC
a non-EU citizen
– I have a Tourist visa 90 days
– I have a Medical Treatment Visa

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens having an EHIC

Citizens temporarily present in Italy and assisted by a State of the European Union, one of the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or Switzerland are entitled to obtain benefits “in direct form” with their health insurance card (TEAM, Tessera Europea Assicurazione Malattia).

The term ‘direct benefits’ means that health care is provided free of charge, except for a “ticket” (co-payment), which is a contribution to the costs. The co-payment is a reduced amount compared to the actual cost of treatment. The amount of the co-payment may vary depending on the region. To obtain these services, the foreign citizen must go to the ‘care provider’ (doctor, hospital, etc.) and show the card (or a replacement certificate) in order to receive treatment according to the same rules as for Italians.

Treatment can be requested at public and private facilities that have an agreement with the National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale, consisting of a network of local health authorities (Aziende Sanitarie Locali) and hospitals located throughout the territory. throughout Italy.


Admission to public (and accredited private) hospitals can take place
– by showing your health insurance card (TEAM, European Health Insurance Card);
– by showing the provisional replacement certificate based on the GP’s prescription.

This text has been simplified by http://www.salute.gov.it/.

Always ask your doctor for clarification and information. HFVG declines all responsibility for incorrect use of the information on this page.

⇒ Non-EU citizens

Tourist visa 90 days

The “Schengen” tourist visa allows entry to Italy and the other countries in the Schengen Area for short periods of time to a foreign citizen who intends to travel for tourist reasons or in any case for a maximum of 90 days.
The application for a Schengen Visa must be submitted through the E-application (http://e-applicationvisa.esteri.it/), which allows you to complete the application form online, print it out and then deliver it in person to the diplomatic-consular Representation. To obtain the visa, certain documents must be presented, including health insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000 for emergency hospitalisation and repatriation expenses.

This text has been simplified by https://www.meltingpot.org/.

Always ask your doctor for clarification and information. HFVG declines all responsibility for any misuse of the information on this page.

Visa for medical treatment

Where and how you can apply for a visa

If you wish to receive medical treatment in Italy you can apply, even with an accompanying person, for a special entry visa at the Italian diplomatic or consular representation present in your country. The residence permit does not allow registration with the National Health Service, except if the permit for treatment is issued to a pregnant woman. Once you have entered Italy, within 8 days, you must apply for the specific residency permit at the Questura (police headquarters) of the place where you intend to have treatment. If you do not do this, your presence will be irregular.

There are three different types of visa:

1) Foreign citizen applying for an entry visa for the purpose of medical treatment.

To obtain this visa, you must present the following documentation to the Italian Embassy or the territorially competent Consulate in your country of origin
– medical certification of your illness (if issued abroad, you must also present an Italian translation);
– a statement from the Italian healthcare facility you have chosen, public or accredited private, indicating the type of treatment, its start date and presumed duration, and any planned hospitalisation
– proof that a deposit has been made (30% of the total cost in euros or US dollars), based on the presumable cost of the treatment, to the chosen facility;
– documentation proving the availability in Italy of sufficient resources to pay the full cost of healthcare and board and lodging expenses outside the healthcare facility;
– documentation proving the availability in Italy of sufficient resources for the full payment of medical expenses and board and lodging outside the health facility;
– documentation proving the availability of sufficient resources for the repatriation journey for you and any accompanying person. The remaining 70% of the expenses must be paid by you or your guarantor

2) Foreigner being transferred to Italy for treatment: humanitarian intervention.

In this case, if you come from a country lacking suitable and adequate health facilities, your entry must be authorised by the Ministry of Health together with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Ministry of Health identifies the healthcare facility and guarantees coverage of healthcare costs.

3) Foreigner to be transferred to Italy: humanitarian intervention programmes of the Regions.

In agreement with the Ministry of Health, the Local Health Units and Hospital Authorities, the Regions may authorise the provision of highly specialised services, which fall within the care programmes approved by the Regions, in favour of
– citizens coming from non-EU countries where medical-specialist skills for the treatment of specific serious pathologies do not exist or are not easily accessible and where there are no reciprocity agreements in force concerning health care
– citizens of countries whose particular situation makes it impossible to implement the agreements in force for the provision of health care by the National Health Service for political, military or other reasons.

“This text has been simplified by (https://asufc.sanita.fvg.it ). Always ask your doctor for clarification and information. HFVG disclaims all liability for incorrect use of the information on this page’.